1 / 1
14 people made this
To make this cake you roast, boil and puree your chestnuts before adding them to eggs, milk, brandy, chocolate and almonds to make the cake batter.
1 cup (250ml) milk
6 eggs, separated
1 1/4 cups (250g) caster sugar
100g unsalted butter, softened
100g blanched almonds
100g dark chocolate
1 lemon, zested and juiced
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees C.
- Cut an x into each chestnut, place on a baking tray and roast in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or until skins start to peel outwards; remove. Keep oven on but reduce temperature to 180 degrees C.
- Allow chestnuts to cool slightly then peel. Place chestnuts in a small saucepan with water. Bring to the boil. Simmer on low heat for about 15 minutes until chestnuts are soft. Drain well then puree.
- Cream egg yolks with sugar then beat in butter.
- Finely grind almonds and grate chocolate. Mix almonds and chocolate with lemon zest, lemon juice, brandy and chestnuts.
- Whisk egg whites until stiff peaks form and fold into the batter.
- Grease a 26cm round springform cake tin.
- Pour in the batter and bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the centre.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate