1 / 1 Picture by: lirum_larum_löffelstiel
Traditional German Stollen
Makes: 1 loaf
- 8 cups (1kg) plain flour
- 50g dried active baking yeast
- 1 cup (220g) caster sugar
- 1 pinch salt, to taste
- warm milk, as needed
- 125g butter, softened
- 6 eggs
- 1/3 cup (90g) sugar
- 5 cups (500g) almond meal
- 250g sultanas
- 250g currants
- 500g cut mixed peel
- 1 unwaxed lemon, zested
- melted butter, for brushing
- icing sugar, for dusting
Preparation:1hour › Cook:1hour › Extra time:1hour30min rising › Ready in:3hours30min
- Mix together flour, yeast, sugar, salt and some warm milk. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl beat butter, eggs and remaining sugar until fluffy.
- Mix almond meal, sultanas, currents, mixed peal and lemon zest then knead into a pliable dough. Cover dough with a tea towel and prove for 1-1 1/2 hours.
- Punch the dough down and shape the Stollen. Transfer to a baking tray lined with baking paper and prove for 20 minutes uncovered.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
- Bake Stollen in preheated oven for 1 hour or until as skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Brush Stollen with butter whilst still hot.
- Once cool liberally sprinkle with icing sugar.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate
Tell others what you thought of this recipe!