- Blanch beef brisket, beef tendon, ginger and spring onions in boiling water for 5 minutes Drain and set aside.
- Heat a medium frying pan with 1 tablespoon oil over high heat. Stir fry the garlic until aromatic; 2-3 minutes.
- Add the beef brisket and beef tendon then mix well. Stir in the tomato sauce, beef stock, salt and oriental mixed spice.
- Add just enough hot water to cover the ingredients and bring to the boil. Once boiling transfer everything into a pressure cooker. Cook under high pressure for 10 minutes.
- Turn the heat off and wait until the pressure dies down naturally.
- Meanwhile, simmer the celery and carrots over medium heat for 30 minutes. Place into the pot with the beef.
- Cut the beef tendon into large pieces and place back into the pot. Serve.
If you don't have pressure cooker, you can simmer this dish over low heat for 2 hours with 250ml additional water.
Oriental mixed spice contains fennel seeds, cloves, Szechuan peppercorns, liquorice, cinnamon, ginger, star anise and cardamom.
You can find Oriental mixed spice and beef tendon in Asian speciality shops.