Parsnip and Garlic Soup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 large parsnips, peeled and chopped into 1 cm cubes
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 3 cups (750ml) boiling water
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 100ml thickened cream
- salt and pepper
- dried chilli pepper flakes or paprika to garnish
Preparation:10min › Cook:25min › Ready in:35min
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and fry until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the parsnips, garlic and curry powder. Stir to blend and cook for a couple of minutes to release the flavours.
- Dissolve stock cube in boiling water in a jug. Stir into pan.
- Simmer for 15 minutes or until parsnips are well cooked and soft.
- Remove from the heat and blend with an electric hand blender until smooth.
- Stir in the cream and warm through. (Alternatively use a food processor to blend soup, return to a clean pan, stir in cream and reheat.)
- Season to taste and garnish with the chilli flakes or paprika.
Altered ingredient amounts. Add two ripe Mango's - 31 Dec 2010
Used different ingredients. Excellent! I am going to double the recipe when I make it next it went to fast. I didn't have heavy cream, just added milk and it came out great. - 29 Sep 2008
Used different ingredients. I didn't have stock cubes. I used liquid stock. Other than that, added more garlic (can never seem to get enough) and I used skim milk instead of cream since I didn't have cream on hand. I garnished the soup with saffron. The result was fantastic. Perfect, exactly what I was hoping for. - 29 Sep 2008