Be the first to make this!
'Kaya' is a spread that is made from coconut milk and eggs that is flavoured from pandan leaves. It is great on toast for breakfast.
1 cup (250g) sugar
1 pinch salt, to taste
8 pandan leaves
250ml coconut milk
4 slices white bread
- In a large bowl mix the eggs, sugar and salt until the sugar is dissolved.
- Use a fork to run through the pandan leaves to release the essential oils and aroma. Tie them together and put in a saucepan with the coconut milk.
- Bring the coconut milk to a boil gently. When it starts boiling stir the coconut milk into the egg mixture slowly.
- When well blended remove the pandan leaves and strain the mixture through a sieve into the top part of a double boiler.
- Gently heat the mixture stirring constantly until it thickens into a custard; 20 to 30 minutes. Let cool completely before refrigerating or serving.
- To serve toast the bread and spread with cold butter followed by a thick layer of the kaya mixture.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate