Serves : 6
- 1kg pork, cubed
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- ½ chilli, diced
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 pinch salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3 chives, diced
- 4 fresh parsley sprigs, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 pinch fennel powder, to taste
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 1 pinch coriander powder, to taste
- 1 mango, cubed
- 1 eggplant, cubed
- 2 zucchinis, cubed
- 4 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 tablespoons colombo spice mix
- 1/2 lemon, juice only
Preparation:20min › Cook:1hour15min › Extra time:1hour marinating › Ready in:2hours35min
- Put the pork in a bowl with half of the garlic, chilli, vinegar, salt and pepper. Set aside for 1 hour.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Sauté chives, remaining garlic, parsley, onion, fennel, thyme and coriander for 5 minutes. Add pork, mango, eggplant, zucchini, potatoes and colombo. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add just enough water to cover the meat and simmer for 1 hour, stirring from time to time. Stir in the lemon juice and serve immediately.
Colombo Spice Mix
Colombo is a mix of Caribbean spices containing turmeric, cumin, coriander, mustard, ginger, fenugreek, cloves, pepper and saffron. You can use a similar similar curry powder in its place.
Hi beannsw, your best bet for Colombo Powder would be a specialty spice /ingredients shop or instead, to use a similar tasting curry powder as explained in the footnote. Thanks! - 28 Feb 2011
I was just wondering if you're based in AU and if so, where do you get the Colombo spice? Thanks! - 27 Feb 2011