These green pistachio macarons are an ideal treat at any time but I like to cook them on St Patricks day; not only do they look the part they taste great too.
6 people made this
1 1/4 cups (220g) icing sugar
1 1/4 cups (125g) almond meal
100g egg whites
1/4 cup (60g) caster sugar
20 drops green food colouring
30g unsalted blanched pistachios
40g caster sugar
40g unsalted blanched pistachios
2 egg yolks
100ml thickened cream
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
20g butter, softened
5 drops black food colouring
Extra time:30min resting ›
- Macarons: Preheat the oven to 150 degrees C. Prepare a baking tray with baking paper.
- In a bowl mix together the pistachios and almonds then sift in the icing sugar.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff then add one tablespoon of sugar. Continue to whisk then add the remaining sugar while whisking on high speed.
- Stir the almond mixture into the egg white and gently mix with a spatula. Add the green food colouring.
- Put the mixture into a pastry bag with a round nozzle. Pipe 5cm mounds onto the prepared baking tray ensuring there is enough space between each.
- Tap the tray on a table or a work surface to remove any air bubbles and set the macarons aside for 30 minutes. It will allow a crust to form on the macarons. Bake in the preheated oven for 14 minutes.
- To see if your macaroons are ready press lightly on top if they are still soft and moving then they are not cooked yet.
- Pistachio Ganache: Mix the sugar with the pistachios.
- Heat the cream in a saucepan over medium heat then add the pistachios and vanilla. Bring to the boil then add the eggs and cook keeping a 85 degrees C temperature.
- Remove from heat, stir in the softened butter and food colouring then refrigerate.
- Assembly: Take one macaron and spread the pistachio ganache on the flat part then add a second macaron on the ganache.
- The 2 macaroons will stick to the ganache. Repeat until no macarons are left.
- If you can resist, refrigerate and wait until the next day to eat them as they will be much better.
Reviews and Ratings
Reviews in English (2)
First attempt and they were amazing! Loved by all who sampled them. I made half with the ganach and half with buttercream. LOVE LOVE LOVE!
01 Jul 2016
(Review from Allrecipes UK & Ireland)
User's IP: 126.96.36.199