1 / 1
5 people made this
These green pistachio macarons are an ideal treat at any time but I like to cook them on St Patricks day; not only do they look the part they taste great too.
1 1/4 cups (220g) icing sugar
1 1/4 cups (125g) almond meal
100g egg whites
1/4 cup (60g) caster sugar
20 drops green food colouring
30g unsalted blanched pistachios
40g caster sugar
40g unsalted blanched pistachios
2 egg yolks
100ml thickened cream
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
20g butter, softened
5 drops black food colouring
Extra time:30min resting ›
- Macarons: Preheat the oven to 150 degrees C. Prepare a baking tray with baking paper.
- In a bowl mix together the pistachios and almonds then sift in the icing sugar.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff then add one tablespoon of sugar. Continue to whisk then add the remaining sugar while whisking on high speed.
- Stir the almond mixture into the egg white and gently mix with a spatula. Add the green food colouring.
- Put the mixture into a pastry bag with a round nozzle. Pipe 5cm mounds onto the prepared baking tray ensuring there is enough space between each.
- Tap the tray on a table or a work surface to remove any air bubbles and set the macarons aside for 30 minutes. It will allow a crust to form on the macarons. Bake in the preheated oven for 14 minutes.
- To see if your macaroons are ready press lightly on top if they are still soft and moving then they are not cooked yet.
- Pistachio Ganache: Mix the sugar with the pistachios.
- Heat the cream in a saucepan over medium heat then add the pistachios and vanilla. Bring to the boil then add the eggs and cook keeping a 85 degrees C temperature.
- Remove from heat, stir in the softened butter and food colouring then refrigerate.
- Assembly: Take one macaron and spread the pistachio ganache on the flat part then add a second macaron on the ganache.
- The 2 macaroons will stick to the ganache. Repeat until no macarons are left.
- If you can resist, refrigerate and wait until the next day to eat them as they will be much better.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate