1 / 1
11 people made this
I love the look and taste of macarons; these lemon ones however are by far my favourite being held together with a butter free lemon curd.
1 1/4 cups (125g) almond meal
1 cup (175g) icing sugar
100g egg whites
75g caster sugar
1 dash yellow food colouring, as required
3 organic lemons, zested and juiced
1 tablespoon cornflour
Extra time:15min resting ›
- Macarons: Preheat the oven to 165 degrees C. Prepare a baking tray by lining with baking paper.
- Sift into a bowl the almond meal and icing sugar.
- In a large bowl whisk the egg whites until stiff then add 1/4 of the sugar first then the remaining sugar while continuing to whisk on high speed.
- Stir in the almond mixture into the egg whites and gently mix with a spatula. Add the yellow food colouring.
- Fill a piping bag with the mixture then start forming the macarons on the prepared baking tray. The mixture should be about 5cm in radius. Leave some space between each macaron so they don't touch.
- Tap the baking tray on a table or a work surface to remove any air bubbles and set aside for 15 minutes to rest.
- Place the baking tray in the preheated oven to cook for 12 minutes.
- To see if the macarons are cooked press lightly on the top, if they are soft then they are not cooked yet.
- Lemon Curd: In a saucepan mix the lemon zest, lemon juice and cornflour. Stir in the sugar. Cook on low heat.
- Whisk the eggs and add to the lemon mixture in the saucepan. Increase the heat to medium whisking constantly until thick; about 4 minutes.
- Remove from heat and chill ready for use.
- Assembly: Place a dollop of lemon curd on one macaron and top with a second one. The macarons will stick to the lemon curd.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate