1 / 1
6 people made this
This is a simple sponge cake that is really easy to make and can be cooked in a tin or on a baking tray making it very versatile.
1 untreated lemon, zested
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees C. Line a springform tin or baking tray with baking paper and grease with butter.
- Separate eggs. Beat egg yolks with 2/3 of the sugar until creamy with electric mixer. Stir in lemon zest.
- In another bowl whisk egg whites with the remaining sugar until stiff. Add to the egg yolks.
- Mix flour and cornflour then sieve into the egg mixture. Fold everything together thoroughly but carefully with a spatula.
- Pour batter into the springform tin or onto the baking tray and smooth out. Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes. If you've used a baking tray it only takes about 12 minutes.
- Remove the sponge from the tin immediately and cool on a cake wire. Remove it from the baking tray and throw onto a damp tea towel and remove the baking paper.
- Sponge made in a tin should be left to stand for a day before cutting and decorating.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate