Cabbage Rolls with Yoghurt Sauce
1 / 1
4 people made this
These are very tasty cabbage rolls with lots of Middle Eastern flavours including almonds, sultanas, cumin and cinnamon.
6 large cabbage leaves
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 small onion, finely diced
1 clove garlic, finely diced
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 tablespoons almonds, chopped
2 tablespoons sultanas, finely diced
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, diced
300g cooked rice
1 pinch salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 cup (250ml) chicken stock
150g natural yoghurt
1 pinch allspice, to taste
1 tablespoon mint, finely diced or 1 teaspoon dried mint
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees C. Grease a baking dish.
- Blanch the cabbage leaves in boiling water and place immediately in a bowl of ice-cold water. Drain in a sieve. Cut off the woody tip.
- Heat olive oil in a frypan then fry onion and garlic until translucent. Add tomato paste, almonds and sultanas then fry further for 2 minutes, stirring.
- Add cumin, cinnamon, parsley and rice; mix well. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread filling on the cabbage leaves and roll into tight rolls folding in the edges of the cabbage leaves. Place in the baking dish with the seams down.
- Heat the chicken stock and pour over the cabbage rolls. Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes.
- Yoghurt Sauce: Mix all ingredients. Season with salt and pepper. Chill and serve with the warm cabbage rolls.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate