Chickpea and Capsicum Curry
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 5 small pieces cinnamon sticks
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons dahl
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 red capsicums, thinly sliced
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 cup (250ml) tomato paste
- 1 cup (250ml) water
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 pinch salt, to taste
- 1 (400g) tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 pinch paprika, to tatse
- 1-2 tablespoon desiccated coconut
Preparation:10min › Cook:15min › Ready in:25min
- Heat oil in a heavy saucepan over a high heat and pour in cinnamon, mustard and dahl. Cover and fry until the mustard seeds begin to burst and the dahl are golden brown.
- Add onion, capsicum and tomato; stir fry for 1-2 minutes. Stir in turmeric.
- Mix tomato paste, water, curry powder and salt then bring mixture to the boil.
- Mix in chickpeas and paprika.
- Cover the saucepan and cook for 5 minutes over a medium heat. Don't cook for too long, the vegetables should not be too soft. Stir in the dried coconut flakes and serve.
Thanks for sharing. Great recipe. Works better with real chick peas though. I've blogged my attempt here: http://www.kitchenetteadventures.asia/2012/09/chickpeas-and-red-capsicum-curry.html - 14 Nov 2012