1 / 1 Picture by: barbarella
Beef Goulash with Capsicum
- 150g lard or olive oil
- 4 onions, finely sliced
- 50g mild or sweet paprika
- 1 dash vinegar, diluted with 60ml water
- 1kg casserole beef
- 1 pinch salt, to taste
- 2 garlic cloves, finely diced
- 1 small teaspoon ground caraway
- 1 small teaspoon marjoram
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1-2 red capsicums, cut into thin strips
- 1 pinch black pepper
Preparation:15min › Cook:3hours › Ready in:3hours15min
- Heat the lard in a large saucepan and brown the onions in it, stirring constantly.
- Add the paprika stir briefly then add the vinegar and water. Let simmer briefly then add the meat. Season with some salt and add garlic, caraway, marjoram and tomato paste.
- Cook for 2-3 hours with the lid not fully covering the saucepan on low heat. Keep checking to see if there is enough liquid in the saucepan, adding a little water if necessary. The goulash should actually stew in its own juices. It shouldn't burn though, so add water if necessary.
- When the beef is very tender add as much water as is necessary to cover. The onions should be completely cooked and should have made the sauce thick.
- Add the capsicums and simmer for 10 minutes. Taste and season with salt and pepper as required.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate
Tell others what you thought of this recipe!