Easy Chilli Con Carne
Serves : 6
- 2 tablespoons oil, divided
- 800g beef mince
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 4 garlic cloves, finely diced
- 1 green capsicum, diced
- 1 red capsicum, diced
- 1 green chilli, seeds removed and finely diced
- 1 red chilli, seeds removed and finely diced
- 2 (400g) tins whole plum tomatoes
- 1 pinch chilli powder, to taste
- 1 pinch salt and black pepper, to taste
- 500ml beef stock
- 425g red kidney beans, tinned or pre-cooked
- 425g corn kernels
- 1 bunch parsley, finely diced
Preparation:10min › Cook:40min › Ready in:50min
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large saucepan then add the mince and break apart with a wooden spoon. Add onion and garlic and cook everything on low heat.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a frying pan and fry the capsicum and chillies over medium heat. Then add the tomatoes and season with some chilli powder, salt and pepper.
- Add the capsicums to the mince and cook for five minutes over a medium heat. Then add the beef stock and bring to the boil then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Finally, add the beans and corn kernels to the saucepan and heat well.
- Sprinkle with parsley before serving.
Altered ingredient amounts. added 1/2 cup of red wine, used 4 tspns of beef stock powder and 1/2 tinned tomato can of water, left out chillis (didn't have any!) but added 1/4 tsp chilli flakes and probably 2 pinches of chilli powder, only used 500g beef mince and took the kernels of 2 cobs of corn....cooked a lot longer, probably 1hr 20mins and served on rice with grated cheese, sour cream and avocado slices......yuuuuuuummmmm!!! (if served with brown rice, would make it even higher fibre) - 20 Sep 2010
hubby's not a fan of prefab chilli so thought we'd try this one...tweaked it a bit but was THE most beautiful recipe and made enough for 4-5 big serves, enough to have leftovers for lunch the next day! Without the chillis and using only the powder and flakes, made a mild version...could easily add more (I'm a mild heat eater but could go warmer!). Would heartily recommend this one...doesn't leave you with heartburn like the prefab stuff does.....but does leave you wanting more! - 20 Sep 2010