- For the beetroot jam:
In a camp oven lined with damp paperbark, place the diced beetroot, fit the lid and set over medium heat for 40-50 minutes of until the beetroot is soft and fully smoked.
- In a saucepan combine both vinegars and the sugar and begin to reduce the volume by half.
- Add the paperbark smoked beetroot and continue cooking to make a thick jam; stir as needed.
- For the corn fritters:
Peel the corn and poach in hot water until done.
- In a mixing bowl combine the flour, milk and eggs to make a pancake batter consistency.
- Chop or grate the cheeses and add into the mix.
- In a lightly oiled hot pan make pancake sized fritters.
- Place on a grease proof sheet until ready to serve.
Stack three fritters using some beetroot jam as the ‘food glue’. Garnish the plate with dobs of jam and top the fritters with the rocket.
If you have trouble finding the Australian flavoured cheeses in your local supermarket, try adding a selection of Australian Herbs* and Seasonings to ordinary cheddar.
See it on my blog
Recipe provided by Cherikoff Rare Spices