2 / 2
8 people made this
These easy to bake cheese sticks go down a treat on their own or with soup. I pack them in my kids school lunch boxes as a healthy snack. Watch the technique in the Allrecipes Cheese Twists video.
1 3/4 cups (220g) self-raising flour, plus extra to dust
1 pinch cayenne pepper, to taste
125g unsalted butter, chilled and diced
125g parmesan cheese, grated
2 medium eggs, one separated
1 teaspoon English mustard
1 pinch sesame seeds and poppy seeds, to sprinkle
Extra time:50min chilling ›
- Put the flour, cayenne and butter in a bowl and mix with hands until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs then add the parmesan.
- Add the whole egg, other yolk and mustard then mix to bring the mixture together.
- Tip the dough on to a board and knead lightly for 30 seconds. Cover in plastic wrap then chill for 30 minutes.
- On a floured surface roll out the pastry to measure 22 x 30cm roughly. Cut into 24 sticks and carefully twist each stick twice. Lay the sticks onto greased baking trays.
- Whisk the reserved egg white until frothy. Brush the egg white over the cheese straws then sprinkle with sesame and poppy seeds.
- Bake at 180 degrees C for 18 to 20 minutes.
Watch a video of it being made…
Write a review
Click on stars to rate