Rich Rabbit Stew
- 2 kg rabbit, cut into pieces
- 100ml olive oil
- 750g small shallots, peeled and left whole
- 3 whole cloves garlic
- 500g tomato puree or passata
- 200ml water
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon whole allspice berries
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Preparation:15min › Cook:1hour30min › Ready in:1hour45min
- Heat the olive oil in a large casserole dish over medium-high heat. Add the rabbit and brown on all sides; about 5 minutes. Remove the rabbit from the casserole dish and set aside.
- Add the shallots and garlic to the casserole dish and cook until slightly soft and golden; about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the rabbit back to the casserole dish trying to get the rabbit to the bottom with most of the shallots on top. Add the tomato puree or passata, water, cloves, allspice berries, bay leaves and cinnamon.
- Cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer without stirring for 75 minutes uncovering the last 15 minutes to ensure all excess liquid evaporates. (Shake the casserole dish occasionally to prevent sticking but avoid stirring so the onions don't fall apart.)
Can I suggest putting all the ingredients into the dish before putting the rabbit back. Way easier to stir it all together without having to dodge rabbit pieces. - 10 Jun 2012