1 / 1 Picture by:
- 3 cooking apples, peeled and sliced
- 150g diced dates, fresh or dried
- 30g breadcrumbs
- 100g soft brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 200g unsalted butter or margarine
- 6 sheets filo pastry
- 1 1/4 cups (200g) icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons pistachio nuts, chopped
- 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
Preparation:30min › Cook:25min › Ready in:55min
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C. Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- Mix the apples with the dates, breadcrumbs, brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Melt the butter in the microwave or a small saucepan.
- Lay 3 sheets of filo pastry side by side on a clean tea towel overlapping the longest edges by 5cm. Brush with a little of the melted butter.
- Cover with the remaining sheets of filo overlapping them as before; brush with butter.
- Place the apple mixture on the filo pastry. Using the tea towel to help roll the filo from the longest edge to form a thick parcel. Roll it onto a lined baking tray into the shape of a horseshoe. Brush with a little more butter and dust with icing sugar.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes.
- Glaze: Mix the icing sugar and lemon juice together. Drizzle over the warm strudel and sprinkle over the poppy seeds and pistachio nuts.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate
Tell others what you thought of this recipe!