Slow Cooker Bean Risotto
- 30g butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 250g risotto rice
- 1 1/2 litres vegetable stock, hot
- 1 pinch salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 teaspoons green pesto
- 130g green beans, sliced
- 130g peas
- parmesan shavings
- 1 bunch rocket leaves
Preparation:15min › Cook:2hours40min › Ready in:2hours55min
- Heat the butter and oil in a saucepan and fry the onions until they start to brown.
- Add the garlic and rice. Stir and cook for 1 minute.
- Add 1 litre of the stock saving 1/2 a litre for later. Add the salt and pepper and bring the mixture to the boil.
- Add the mixture to the slow cooker and cook on low for 2 hours.
- Reheat the remaining stock on the stove and add to the slow cooker with the pesto then stir everything together.
- Place the vegetables on top of the rice; no need for them to be covered by the liquid. Replace the lid and cook for another 30 minutes on low.
- Garnish with the parmesan and rocket to serve.
Easy to make. Not as good as a REAL risotto but not bad if you're in a hurry :-) - 14 Jun 2013
This recipe is very good and easy. The flavours all come together wonderfully: creamy and balanced in the end. My ancient slow cooker suddenly started smoking in its wiring, so I had to improvise hahah. I used a large calaphon straight sided skillet with a lid, on LOW setting of the stovetop from step 4. It worked wonderfully. I just cut the cooking time back to 2 hours. - 27 Sep 2010