2 people made this
Cooking duck can be seen as a little daunting but it is super easy with this recipe. Served in a rich sauce including red wine, bacon and mushrooms.
110g diced streaky bacon or pancetta
30g butter and oil
2 duck leg portions
1 tablespoon plain flour
150ml full bodied red wine
150ml chicken stock
1 sprig fresh rosemary
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon redcurrant jelly
300ml fresh orange juice
110g button mushrooms
125ml brandy, to taste
- Cover the shallots in boiling water, leave for 10 minutes then peel.
- Fry the bacon in a hot casserole dish until lightly browned then remove from casserole dish into a holding dish.
- Add a little butter and oil to casserole dish and cook shallots until light brown then remove to the holding dish.
- Place duck legs in casserole dish and brown both sides then put them in the holding dish too.
- To the fats in the casserole dish now add the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes. Gradually add the wine, stock, rosemary, bouquet garni and garlic. Beware it will spit a little bit.
- Return the bacon, shallots and duck legs from the holding dish to the casserole dish.
- Add in the red currant jelly, some of the orange juice and the mushrooms then simmer gently for 3-4 minutes.
- Cover the casserole dish with its lid and place in oven for 2 hours at 170 degrees C.
- On taking out season to taste. At this point you can add your brandy and a little more orange juice or red currant jelly to taste.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate