1 / 1 Picture by:
Orange Elderflower Cordial
- 20-30 elderflower heads
- 4 lemons
- 2 oranges
- up to 1 1/2 kg white sugar
Preparation:15min › Cook:45min › Extra time:1hour › Ready in:2hours
- Pick elderflower heads that are fully open and seem freshly opened (i.e. not full of browning flowers).
- Shake off any insects and place in a large bowl with the zest of your oranges and lemons. (I prefer to peel off the zest with a potato peeler for this recipe so I can return it to the mix when adding sugar).
- Pour over just enough boiled water to cover completely; 1.5-2 litres usually does it.
- Cover and leave over night or a minimum of 4 hours.
- Strain the liquid through muslin, a clean cloth or jelly bag then gently squeeze to extract all the liquid. Reserve the zest where possible.
- Measure your liquid. You will need 350g sugar for every 500ml of liquid.
- Combine in a large saucepan with the juice of your oranges and lemons. Add the zest back into the pan.
- Bring to a gentle simmer stirring to dissolve the sugar. Skim off any scum that is produced.
- Cool and strain through muslin again. Pour into clean bottles and seal.
- To Serve: Dilute to taste. Approximately 1 part cordial to 5 parts water.
You can freeze into ice-cubes which can be added to glasses of water.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate
Tell others what you thought of this recipe!