1 / 1
Happy Valley Soups
Be the first to make this!
This is an authentic Lamb Scotch Broth recipe using lamb, rather than beef which you often see today. The result is a great base for many other recipes or a good soup on its own.
50g split peas
1 lamb neck, fat trimmed
2 1/2 litres water
1 onion, diced
1 leek, diced
1 or 2 small turnips, diced
1 or 2 carrots, diced
1 pinch salt and black pepper, to taste
1/2 cabbage, shredded
1 small handful diced fresh parsley
Extra time:6hours ›
- Wash peas and soak overnight.
- In a large saucepan combine the lamb neck, barley, peas and water. Bring to the boil and skim off any foam that rises to the surface.
- After 10 minutes add the leek, onion, turnip and carrot. Cover and reduce heat; simmer gently for 3 hours.
- Taste the broth and season to taste with salt and pepper, Add the shredded cabbage; cover and simmer for an hour.
- Just before serving taste again and add more seasoning if necessary. Add the diced parsley and serve.
Broth keeps life going so this one's a winner!
- 07 Sep 2016
Write a review
Click on stars to rate