Basil Infused Creme Brulee
Be the first to make this!
Creme brulee is a classic dinner party dessert that is sure to please. This version is a little different - the cream is infused with basil overnight before the final construction.
1 bunch basil, leaves and stalks roughly torn
4 medium-sized egg yolks
1 tablespoon caster sugar
1 teaspoon cornflour, blended with a little water
1 punnet raspberries, washed
30g soft brown sugar
Extra time:8hours chilling ›
- Gently warm the cream in a heavy based pan until bubbles appear at the edge. Do not allow it to boil.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the torn basil leaves and stalks. For best results place in the refrigerator and leave to infuse overnight.
- To continue making the brulee, gently reheat the cream until bubbles appear around the edge.
- Meanwhile, beat the egg yolks with the caster sugar in a large heat proof bowl until creamy. Pour the cream through a sieve onto the egg yolks, stirring all the time.
- Stir in the blended cornflour, then place the bowl over a saucepan of boiling water and heat gently, stirring continuously until the custard thickens – about 8-10 minutes.
- Divide the custard into 4 small ramekin dishes or a large shallow heatproof dish.
- Sprinkle the raspberries over, letting them find their own level. Leave to cool, then refrigerate until required.
- When ready to serve, preheat the grill to a high heat. Sprinkle the brown sugar over the brulee, making sure the edges are covered. Grill until the sugar bubbles and caramelises.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate