Easy Basic Cookie Recipe
- 230g butter, softened
- 110g caster sugar
- 275g plain flour
Preparation:15min › Cook:10min › Extra time:25min › Ready in:50min
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
- Cream the butter in a large bowl or in a food mixer until soft. Add the sugar and beat until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Sift in the flour and then add whatever flavourings and extras you are using - then bring the mixture together to form a dough.
- Using your hands, roll the dough into walnut-size balls and place them slightly apart on a baking tray. Flatten them slightly and bake in the oven for 13-15 minutes or until they are a light golden brown and slightly firm on top.
- Carefully transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool.
Try these simple flavourings
Poppy seed: Add 2 tablespoons of poppy seeds to the flour. Lemon or Orange: Add the finely grated zest of 1 lemon or 1 orange to the flour. Spice (e.g. cinnamon, mixed spice, ginger): Add 1 teaspoon of a ground spice of your choice to the flour.
Very easy and very good for when there's nothing in the pantry. Kids loved them. I always wanted to be a mum that could whip up something home-made without any notice. I just made a mixed spice, cinnamon and ginger version this time, but I can see that the recipe is very adaptable. - 12 Jun 2011
This recipe is fool proof and very easy to make. Simple and easy ingredient and taste like heaven! - 31 Dec 2013
this recipe was a hit in my house, i added vanilla essence to one batch and coconut essence to another, added my buttercream frosting and they were delicious!!! - 31 Mar 2014