Zucchinis Stuffed with Chickpeas and Mushrooms
Serves : 8
- 4 medium zucchinis, halved
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 125g mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin, or to taste
- 1 (400g) tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- handful chopped fresh parsley
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Preparation:30min › Cook:30min › Ready in:1hour
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Grease a shallow baking dish.
- Scoop out the flesh of the zucchinis; chop the flesh and set aside. Place the shells in the prepared dish, hollowed side up.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Fry onions for 5 minutes, then add garlic and cook 2 minutes more. Stir in chopped zucchini and mushrooms; cook for 5 minutes. Stir in coriander, cumin, chickpeas, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Spoon mixture into zucchini halves.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes, or until zucchinis are tender.
A nice dish. I only used 2 zucchinis but didn't change the amount of chickpeas and other ingredients. I didn't have fresh mushrooms on hand, so I added dehydrated shiitake mushrooms. I also added about a teaspoon of grated ginger (fresh) when I added the mushrooms to the mix. I added a small amount of celery just before spooning the mix into the shells. Worked perfectly - a fresh and tasty veggie side or main. I had left over stuffing, which will be great to add to another dish. - 10 Jul 2011
Something else. There wasn't quite enough filling for the large round zucchini I had available, so I put most of the prepared filling into one half, then added a little more of the herbs and spices, mushrooms, capsicum and cold cooked rice, filled the other half and baked as directed. Both versions were delicious. - 13 Apr 2011
Altered ingredient amounts. My husband and I loved this dish. I used a little less coriander and added about 2 TBSP curry and an extra garlic clove. It didn't have an Indian flavour at all. I sprinkled it with grated Parmesan cheese before serving. The salt of the cheese was perfect. It cooked for a good 40 minutes. - 29 Sep 2008