Pickled Baby Fennel Slices
These are great to serve as part of an antipasto or with a cheese platter. You can use this technique to pickle other vegetables as well.
2 people made this
Makes: 1 300ml bottle
2 baby fennel bulbs or 1 large one
2 teaspoons salt
1 cup (250ml) apple cider or white wine vinegar
1/4 cup (80ml) water
2 teaspoons Herbie's Spices Pickling Spice
2 tablespoons white sugar
Extra time:8hours resting ›
- Wash and trim fennel bulbs, discarding tough outer layer and green stalks. Reserve a few leafy fronds.
- Slice bulbs in half from top to base, remove hard core. Slice finely from top to bottom. Place in non-metal bowl with reserved fronds and toss salt through. Cover and set aside overnight.
- Rinse thoroughly under running water, drain and rinse again. Drain well and pack into sterilised 300ml jar.
- Bring vinegar, water, pickling spices and sugar to boil, reduce heat and simmer 10-15 minutes, or until reduced to 250ml.
- Pour pickling solution over fennel and seal jar. Refrigerate 2 days before using.
Recipe suitable for other vegetables ie carrot, cauliflower florets, zucchini or cucumber slices etc. Serve with cheddar cheeses, grilled or smoked fish.
Reviews and Ratings
Reviews in English (0)
User's IP: 184.108.40.206