- Peel and chop the potatoes and boil until tender.
- Drain and mash with the spice mix. You may add a little butter if you like, but no milk. Allow the mixture to cool.
- Beat the egg and milk together in a small bowl with a fork or whisk.
- Place the breadcrumbs in a shallow bowl.
- With clean hands, make the mashed potato into patties about 4cm in diameter and 1cm thick. Using a fork, bathe each cake in egg, lift out using the fork and drop into the breadcrumbs. Toss to coat, then place on a plate.
- When all the potato cakes are coated with egg and breadcrumbs, heat enough oil to make a depth of half a centimetre in the pan.
- When it is properly hot, carefully place the potato cakes into the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes over medium heat. Turn when golden and crisp and do the other side.
- Drain on absorbent paper before serving.
Balmain and Rozelle Spice
...is a mix of spices like lemon myrtle, turmeric, cumin, ginger, garlic, chilli, coriander seed and caraway.