Lemon Poppyseed Cake
A delicious Lemon and Poppyseed cake with a lemon and sugar syrup. The poppyseeds need to be ground, either in a mill or with a pestle and mortar until they form a slightly textured paste.
2 people made this
Makes: 1 cake
1/3 cup Herbie's Spices Whole Blue Poppy Seeds
125g softened butter
3/4 cup (185g) caster sugar
2 eggs, beaten
finely grated rind of 1 lemon
4 tablespoons (80ml) milk
1 1/2 cups (185g) self-raising flour
juice of 1 lemon
1 tablespoon sugar
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C, grease and line a rectangular lamington tin.
- Grind poppy seeds in a pestle and mortar or in a grinder.
- Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in the eggs, then stir in lemon rind.
- Fold in the milk and flour alternately, then fold in the poppy seeds.
- Spoon the mixture into the tin and level the surface.
- Bake for about 45 minutes until well-risen and golden.
- Mix the lemon juice and sugar together and pour evenly over the surface of the hot cake, then leave in the tin until completely cooled.
- Cut into squares or fingers and sprinkle with a little extra lemon rind before serving.
Cake and dessert
This rich cake can be cut into quite small pieces to serve with coffee or tea, or even served with ice cream as a dessert.
Reviews and Ratings
Reviews in English (0)
User's IP: 18.104.22.168