Chicken and Black Bean Soup
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 6 corn tortillas, cut into strips
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 400g tin black beans, rinsed and drained
- 340g tin corn kernels, drained
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breast fillets, cut into bite-size pieces
- 125g salsa
- handful chopped fresh coriander
Preparation:15min › Cook:15min › Ready in:30min
- Heat the oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add half of the tortilla strips at a time and cook until crisp. Drain on kitchen paper.
- Add the stock, cumin, chilli powder and oregano to the pot. Raise the heat to high and bring to a boil. Add the beans, corn, chicken and salsa. Reduce heat to low, stir and simmer for about 5 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Add the coriander and remaining tortilla strips. Ladle into individual bowls and garnish each bowl with some of the crisped tortilla strips.
Altered ingredient amounts. This was extremely easy and excellent. I scaled it to make 20 servings for a party and it was great. I used less coriander and topped with cheese. I also used shop bought tortillas for ease. Definitely would make again. - 08 Oct 2008
Used different ingredients. This recipe got rave reviews. I altered it a bit, by using leftover whole chicken, omitting the salsa and topping it with avocado and cheddar cheese. Yummy. - 08 Oct 2008
This is a very easy recipe to make and very very flavourful. I highly recommend it. To save time, use regular tortilla crisps. As good and much quicker. - 08 Oct 2008