1 / 1 Picture by: Colleen
Dark Chocolate Gluten-Free Chocolate Cake
- 1/2 cup (65g) sorghum flour
- 1/2 cup (65g) tapioca flour
- 1/2 cup (65g) rice flour
- 1 cup (100g) cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 1/2 tablespoons xanthan gum
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon bicarb soda
- 170g butter at room temperature
- 3/4 cup (120g) packed dark brown sugar
- 1 cup (220g) white sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 375ml buttermilk
- 140g dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 tablespoon thickened cream
Preparation:35min › Cook:35min › Ready in:1hour10min
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Grease a 23x33 cm tin and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the sorghum, tapioca and rice flours with the cocoa powder, xanthan gum, baking powder and bicarb soda.
- In a large mixer bowl, cream the butter until light and fluffy. Slowly beat in the brown and white sugars; whip until fluffy. Beat in the eggs and egg yolks one at a time. Add the vanilla. On low speed, alternately combine the buttermilk with the flour mixture. Pour batter into prepared tin.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Cool in tin.
- To make the icing, in the top of a double boiler over medium high heat, melt the chocolate chips (or use microwave). Remove from heat and cool until warm. Stir in the sour cream and vanilla; add thickened cream. Stir in additional thickened cream to make desired consistency. Once the cake is thoroughly cool, spread a thin layer of icing over the top.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate
Tell others what you thought of this recipe!