1 / 1 Picture by: Cook4U
BBQ Chicken Souvlaki
- Souvlaki Marinade
- 3/4 cup (190ml) balsamic vinaigrette salad dressing
- 3 tablespoons (60ml) lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- Tzatziki Sauce
- 1/2 cup seeded, grated cucumber
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup plain yoghurt
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1/2 teaspoon Greek seasoning
- 1 pinch sea salt to taste
- 1 pinch freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4 large pita bread pockets
- 1 heart of cos lettuce, cut into 1/2cm slices
- 1 white onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tomato, halved and sliced
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives
- 1/2 cup pepperoncini
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
Preparation:30min › Cook:20min › Extra time:1hour marinating › Ready in:1hour50min
- In a small bowl, mix the balsamic vinaigrette, juice from 1/2 lemon, oregano and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Place chicken in a large resealable plastic bag. Pour marinade over the chicken, seal and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat a barbecue for high heat.
- Toss the grated cucumber with 1 teaspoon sea salt and allow to sit at least 5 minutes. In a medium bowl, mix the yoghurt, sour cream, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, rice vinegar and olive oil. Season with garlic, fresh dill and Greek seasoning. Squeeze the cucumber to remove any excess water; stir into sauce. Season to taste with sea salt and pepper. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Remove chicken from marinade and place on prepared barbecue. Discard remaining marinade. Cook chicken until juices run clear, about 8 minutes on each side. Remove chicken from heat and allow to sit about 10 minutes before slicing into thin strips.
- Place pita bread on the barbecue and cook for about 2 minutes until warm, turning frequently to avoid burning. Arrange warmed pita, sliced chicken, lettuce, onion, tomato, olives and pepperoncini on a serving plate. Serve tzatziki sauce and feta cheese in separate bowls on the side. Stuff pita pockets with chicken and toppings to serve.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate
Tell others what you thought of this recipe!