Lemon Butter Sauce: Pour the wine and lemon juice into a saucepan over medium heat. Cook at a low boil until the liquid is reduced by 1/3. Stir in cream and simmer until it thickens. Gradually add the butter 1 tablespoon at a time to the sauce, stirring until completely incorporated. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and keep warm.
Pasta: Bring a large saucepan of lightly salted water to boil. Add pasta and cook until al dente, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
Chicken: Heat oil and butter in a large frying pan over medium heat. In a bowl stir together flour, salt and pepper. Lightly coat chicken with flour mixture. Without crowding, carefully place chicken in hot oil. (If necessary, cook in batches.) Fry until cooked through and golden brown on both sides. Remove the chicken to paper towels.
Stir the bacon, mushrooms, artichokes and capers into the residual oil then cook until the mushrooms are soft.
Cut the chicken breasts into bite sized pieces and return them to the frying pan. Stir half of the lemon butter sauce into the chicken mixture.
To Serve: Place pasta in a large bowl. Stir the chicken mixture into the pasta. Taste and adjust seasonings. Stir in additional lemon butter sauce as desired. Toss well and garnish with parsley.
Delicious,I used sliced Fennel and Red Capsicum instead of Artichoke hearts and will make it again.
30 Aug 2011
The recipe is excellent but can be streamlined considerably:
(1) Heat water for pasta.
(2) Prep your raw and canned ingredients. Substitute 6 oz. canned sliced mushrooms – drained and rinsed. Drain and rinse canned artichoke hearts and cut into pieces (or use hearts of palm, which have a milder, more lemony flavor.) Slice the bacon strips into 1-inch pieces. Keep everything in separate prep bowls and set aside.
(3) Cook sauce exactly as directed to keep it creamy. Once the last pat of butter is mixed in, immediately remove the pan from heat and keep warm (or place on a very low heat and stir occasionally.) Do not keep or reheat on medium or high heat as the cream sauce will separate and become greasy.
(4) Slice the raw chicken breasts with the grain into ½ inch strips. Cook in one layer in a non-stick pan on medium heat with 1 Tbs. olive oil, until the edges are cooked; then flip the strips and cook for about 2 more minutes, until no longer pink and cooked through. Immediately remove from heat, place in a bowl and cover with foil to keep the strips warm and tender – do not leave them on the burner as overcooking will make the chicken tough and rubbery.
(5) While the pasta cooks, cook bacon a bit over medium heat; add mushrooms and cook 3-5 minutes; add the artichokes or hearts of palm last, heating through about 2 minutes, to preserve their soft texture and keep them from becoming mushy.
(6) Return chicken strips to the skillet and continue as directed.
17 Jun 2007
(Review from Allrecipes USA and Canada)