Mexican Chicken and Rice
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast fillets
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 green capsicum, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 185g long grain white rice
- 1 3/4 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup white wine
- pinch saffron
- 400g canned tomatoes
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
Preparation:15min › Cook:35min › Ready in:50min
- Cut each chicken breast into cubes and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste and and half the paprika. Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add chicken, and cook until golden. Remove chicken, and set aside.
- Add capsicum, onion and garlic to pan and cook for 5 minutes. Add rice and cook and stir until rice is opaque, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in stock, white wine, saffron and tomatoes. Stir in remaining paprika, and salt and pepper to taste. Return to a boil. Cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Return chicken to the frying pan to reheat. Stir in parsley.
Great recipe. I doubled the amount of paprika and added the juice of one lime about 10 minutes after adding the stock etc. Also I rubbed the paprika/salt and white pepper (I like the heat of white pepper) onto the chicken pieces and then covered and left in the fridge for a couple of hours. Finally I added tabasco sauce to taste before returning the chicken to the pot. Serve with slices of avocado and lime, with yoghurt on the side. Also the second time I made it I grilled the chicken pieces, this worked because the texture was then different to the rest of the dish and the chicken seemed to taste better. Brilliant. Thanks for the recipe - 20 Apr 2013
So simple and tasty! Add tabasco at the end to kick it up a notch. Bam! Also, don't forget to wash the rice before adding. - 11 Jan 2011
An easy, tasty recipe to make. I didn't have any white wine, but it was fine without it. - 21 Oct 2010