Caramelised Red Capsicums and Onions
- 2 red capsicums, seeded and cut into strips
- 2 red onions, cut into strips
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- knob butter
- 4 tablespoons red wine (optional)
- pinch salt
- pinch ground black pepper
- pinch chopped fresh basil
Preparation:10min › Cook:30min › Ready in:40min
- In a saucepan over a medium heat, combine capsicums, onion, oil and butte. Gently cook for 2 minutes then reduce heat to medium low and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the onions and capsicums soften.
- If desired, stir red wine into the vegetables and cook until the wine evaporates; approximately 30 minutes. Season with salt, pepper and basil.
Altered ingredient amounts. Absolutely lovely! my husband loved it with some fresh foccacia bread. So easy and yummy. I used only oil, though, no butter and added some thyme as had no basil. I also added some balsamic vinegar instead of wine. Definetely one to make again and again. Thanks so much! - 29 Sep 2008
This is wonderful!! I have made this dish at least 4 times since I got a new pan for Christmas. I can not believe the flavours. I have served this with sausage in sandwiches, and with chicken and pork chops. Its a wonder there's any left, I pick onions out of the pan while they're cooking! I have used a little balsamic vinegar instead of wine, also a little chicken stock if I need a little more moisture. Experiment with your herbs - this is very adaptable. - 29 Sep 2008
Used different ingredients. Everytime we have (any) steak, my husband requests nothing other than onions & mushrooms and since he LOVES red capsicums, I decided to give this a try. I made it per recipe, but threw in 4 semi-chopped, portabello mushrooms. Not only did it smell great while cooking, but tasted great as well! I didn't add sultanas. Thanks Crow, for the tasty steak topper! - 29 Sep 2008