Calamari in Tomato and Wine Sauce
- 1 kg squid, cleaned
- 700g jar passata
- 1 cup (250ml) Chianti wine
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 30g grated pecorino cheese
Preparation:15min › Cook:1hour › Extra time:14days24hours45min › Ready in:15days1hour
- Separate the tentacles from the long body of the squid, if not done already. Slice the body into rings about 1 1/2 cm thick and set aside.
- In a saucepan, combine passata, red wine, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, black pepper, cayenne pepper, basil and pecorino cheese. Simmer on medium low for about 30 minutes until the alcohol in the wine has evaporated and all the flavours are blended.
- Add the squid rings and tentacles to the sauce. Continue to slowly simmer for about another 20 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Squid is cooked when it is plump and more opaque. Do not cook on higher heat or for a longer period as squid easily becomes rubbery.
Took shortcuts. Thought this was very good & spicy. For a quicker version, I passed on using fresh calamari, frozen worked just fine...took less time. - 21 Jul 2008
This is a staple recipe around our house now. You can add an array of seafood \ shellfish to this recipe. It's all good. I always at least double it, excluding the seafood. Then I freeze it in bags. I add the meat the next time we reheat the sauce. - 21 Jul 2008
This was good. Anoter reviewer suggested this was easy. IT IS NOT!! Cleaning a kilo of squid takes a minimum of 45 minutes and that is if you know what you are doing. DO NOT USE FRESH SQUID LIKE I DID. It is too tender and turns mushy when cooked, not rubbery like frozen does. The sauce was tasty and I will make again. If anyone cares here is how you clean squid. First you pull all the heads off, then you cut off the tentacles off above the eyes. Discard the lower portion of the head. Turn the tentacles inside out and cut off the round bulb centre. Rinse and Drain. For the body of the squid, pull out all the back bones. Remove the black skin surface. Cut squid into round pieces. Turn each piece inside out and remove any stuff on the inside under running water, drain. Now instead of putting them in this recipe dredge in a mixture of rice flour and pepper, deep fry in hot oil just seconds (till they float, less than a minute). Drain on kitchen roll. - 21 Jul 2008