Mexican Vegetables (Calabacitas)
Serves : 4
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 zucchini, diced
- 1 green chilli, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 cup (185g) corn kernels
- 400g tin black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
Preparation:15min › Cook:10min › Ready in:25min
- Heat oil in a large fry pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring until soft. Add zucchini and chilli and cook until soft. Stir in corn and beans and heat through. Season with salt to taste.
If you can't find tinned black beans, use tinned kidney beans.
Used different ingredients. This is delicious and unique! I love the combination of zuchinni, beans, and corn. I omitted the poblano and added about 1 tsp. of ground cumin and 1 tsp. of chilli powder to perk up the flavours. I served with low-fat cheddar cheese and taco sauce. I can't wait to have this again!! - 29 Sep 2008
Used different ingredients. Very good side dish recipe. I substituted canned green chillies for the poblano and added some chilli powder. A new favourite! - 29 Sep 2008
Used different ingredients. Good starter recipe. Needs more flavour!!!! I added some garlic and pepper, and still felt it needed a little extra something. Really good recipe to play around with and make it your own. Thanks. - 29 Sep 2008