Moist Chocolate Cake
- 1 3/4 cups self raising flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- few drops vanilla essence
- 1 cup boiling water
Preparation:15min › Cook:45min › Ready in:1hour
- Pre heat oven at 180 degrees C. Oil one large or two medium baking tins.
- Sieve flour and cocoa into a bowl and stir in sugar. Add eggs, milk and oil. Mix well together with electric mixer.
- Add vanilla and boiling water and beat for 3 minutes.
- Pour into oiled tin(s) three quarters down from rim. Bake for about 45 mins. Test with skewer and cook a little longer if necessary.
This cake freezes well wrapped in large freezer bag.
I was looking for a new recipe after my last birthday cake disaster turned out bland and heavy. This recipe is perfect! I will keep it forever. I was also looking for simple ingredients I have in my pantry (not buttermilk and real chocolate) This recipe resulted in a dark cake with a rich chocolate flavour and a light fluffy texture - like a mud cake without the heaviness. I may have overmixed though - the cake rose alot in the centre and not so much at the sides, so be careful. I used a different icing recipe and a whipped cream filling. The mix will make one medium size cake. (22cm cake tin) - 20 Feb 2012
Great easy recipe. Very chocolatey taste and very moist. Great alternative to a cake that uses butter. I made a ring cake and a small square cake. Probably would have been better using the left over mix into muffins though as the sqare cake was too thin. - 27 Jun 2010
- 16 Apr 2010