Pumpkin Sweet Bread
- 2 cups plain flour or 1 cup wholemeal flour and 1 cup plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarb soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon or mixed spice
- 1/2 teaspoon each: salt and nutmeg
- 1 cup fresh pumpkin puree
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup each: chopped pecans and walnuts (may substitute raisins or any combination to equal one cup)
Preparation:15min › Cook:50min › Ready in:1hour5min
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, bicarb soda, ground cinnamon, salt and ground nutmeg.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine pumpkin, sugar, milk and eggs. Mix well.
- Add dry ingredients, oil and nuts mixing until just moistened. Batter will be slightly lumpy. Do not over mix.
- Spoon batter into well-greased (use vegetable oil) loaf pans, may use aluminium pans.
- Bake (in the middle of the oven) large loaf for 65 minutes or two mini loaves for 50 minutes or until a wooden skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes in the pan. Use a knife to go around the edge of the pan to loosen bread from the sides of the pan, invert, cool on a cooling rack or plate. Slice and serve.
Absolutely delicious. I'm pretending it's healthy and feeding it to my daughter to get some vegies into her! I added a smidge less oil and more pumpkin to compensate. Thank you for sharing. - 17 Jul 2010
Used different ingredients. Just tried this with bananas instead of pumpkin for a giggle - delicious! One of the best banana breads I've had. Two recipes for the price of one, woohoo! - 27 Jun 2010
This is delicious and very simple! This one if definitely going to be a regular at our house. - 21 Apr 2012