Last Minute Christmas Cake
- 1 kg mixed fruit
- 1/2 cup (125ml) brandy
- 1 granny smith apple, peeled and grated
- 1 tablespoon golden syrup or honey
- 1 cup (155g) dark brown sugar
- 250g butter, melted
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups (190g) plain flour
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- whole almonds for decoration
Preparation:15min › Cook:3hours › Ready in:3hours15min
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees C. Place fruit in a bowl with brandy, apple, brown sugar and honey. Beat eggs and add.
- Stir together then add cooled melted butter. Stir and lastly mix through flour and spices. Pour into a deep eight or nine inch round cake tin lined with three sheets of greaseproof paper coming two inches above the rim. Decorate with almonds.
- Bake in a slow oven (160 degrees C) for 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Brush with two tbsp of brandy or other spirit while still warm. Cover with foil lightly and leave to cool. Wrap in foil. This cake will keep for up to six months in the refrigerator.
I made this December 2009 and it was well received. Easy to make and moist and flavourful. The only thing I would change next time is to use golden syrup instead of honey and to use regular salted butter instead of the unsalted I used. - 31 Dec 2009