Broad Bean Dip or Spread
- 375g fresh or frozen broad beans
- 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- half a bunch fresh parsley, chopped
- 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Preparation:10min › Cook:10min › Ready in:20min
- Put the beans into a stockpot with enough water just to cover and bring to a boil.
- Drain half of the water after beans are tender. Return beans to stockpot and add onion, tomato, olive oil, cumin, parsley, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Mash the beans and bring the mixture back to a boil, then reduce the heat. Gently cook the mixture for 5 minutes. Serve warm with toasted pitta.
I was in egypt recently. They did eat this almost every morning. They did not put lemon in it. Instead they put lemon wedges in a bowl for you to squeeze on yourself. Typically they would smash all the beans with their fork and then scoop onto the pitabread! - 08 Oct 2008
Hello. I am Egyptian, Very nice ingredients, it's almost how we eat it. we usually ommit the red peppers And sometimes we mix all ingredients in a blender & it becomes a smooth creamy spread (i love that) & other times tbsp Tahini is added, air dried beef slices & also crushed garlic cloves is almost a necessity we don't usually add parsley though. - 08 Oct 2008
Usually I grow them just to dig the straw back into the soil. I have so many broad beans I don't know what to do with them all. Now I do. These Broad Bean Recipes are great. - Thanks. - 25 Nov 2013