Wholegrain Breakfast Muesli Bars
- 3/4 cup (80g) rolled oats
- 60g wholemeal plain flour
- 60g wheat and barley nugget cereal
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 beaten egg
- 4 tablespoons apple sauce or purée
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons soft dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 30g unsalted sunflower seeds
- 30g chopped walnuts
- 220g chopped dried mixed fruit
Preparation:10min › Cook:30min › Ready in:40min
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees C. Line a 23cm square baking dish with baking paper.
- In a large bowl, stir together the oats, flour, cereal and cinnamon. Add the egg, apple sauce, honey, sugar and oil. Mix well. Stir in the sunflower seeds, walnuts and dried fruit. Spread mixture evenly in the prepared baking dish.
- Bake 30 minutes, or until firm and lightly browned around the edges. Let cool. Use the baking paper to lift from the dish. Cut into squares and refrigerate until required.
Used different ingredients. I love this recipe! I've made this recipe a dozen times, using different dried fruit, omitting the nuts and adding chocolate whey-more protein (I'm a sports-nut). It never fails, never is dry and using chocolate covered raisins make them a bit sinful but always delicious! - 29 Sep 2008
Made it healthier. Wonderful! I made a batch with exactly what you had for my hubby and I made a lower carb version for myself. They both turned out awesome! FYI...lower carb I omited the fruit and flour. I added two scoops of low-carb protein powder and 2 T peanut butter. They were great. I'm going to experiment with this base recipe using bananas, blueberries, dried cranberries....wow the options are endless. Thanks so much!!! A++++++ - 29 Sep 2008
Altered ingredient amounts. Way good! I doubled the applesauce and bars really had a great texture. Used sesame seeds, almonds, linseeds, sunflower seeds, raisins. Would be great with any seed/nut/dried fruit combination. - 29 Sep 2008