- Preheat the oven to 220 degrees C. Use a little of the oil to lightly grease a baking tray. Rinse and dry the spinach, discarding the stalks.
- Heat the rest of the oil in a saucepan and add the spinach; cover and cook for 2 minutes. Uncover, stir, and cook for 1 minute. Drain off the liquid, transfer the spinach to a bowl and put aside.
- Slice off and reserve the tomato tops. Scoop out the centres.
- Lightly toast the pine nuts, then add to the spinach. Peel the garlic and crush it in, then grate over the Parmesan, season to taste with salt and pepper, and mix.
- Press the spinach mixture into the tomatoes, piling it up, then balance the tomato tops on the stuffing. Bake on the top shelf of the oven for 12–15 minutes.
A mixed leaf salad on the side is a refreshing accompaniment.
NUTRIENTS PER SERVING:
good source of vitamins A, B group, C, E and folate, and calcium, iron and zinc.
EASY DOES IT!
Pine nuts have a wonderful flavour which is enhanced by toasting. Simply place them in a dry frying pan over low heat and cook, stirring and turning constantly, until golden brown.