- Preheat the griller to high. Halve the cabbage and discard the hard centre. Coarsely chop the rest, rinse well, then drain in a colander.
- Halve and seed the chilli, and slice finely. Peel and roughly chop the garlic. Put them both aside.
- Gently warm the plum jam and soy sauce in a small pan, season with the allspice and cayenne, then sieve, if necessary.
- Trim the fat off the chops and discard the bones. Arrange the chops under the griller and cook for 5–7 minutes each side, basting with the glaze halfway through cooking.
- Meanwhile, mix the cider vinegar with 2 tablespoons water and some salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the chilli and garlic and fry for 30–40 seconds. Add the cabbage and toss in the oil. Stir in the diluted vinegar, cover and cook for 4 minutes.
- Uncover the pan, raise the heat and continue to cook the cabbage until all the liquid has evaporated.
- Serve the spicy cabbage on individual plates with the plum-glazed chops alongside.
Plain steamed rice provides the perfect foil for the richness of this dish and helps to soak up the flavoursome juices.
NUTRIENTS PER SERVING:
good source of vitamins A, B group, C, E and folate, and selenium and zinc.