Serves : 18
- 1 cup (250ml) beer
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups (410g) plain flour
- 3/4 teaspoon dried active baking yeast
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon lukewarm water
- 2 tablespoons sea salt flakes
Preparation:1hour › Cook:20min › Ready in:1hour20min
- Measure first 6 ingredients in order listed into a bread machine baking pan. Select Dough/Pasta Setting and press start.
- When the cycle is complete, remove dough to a lightly floured surface. If necessary, knead in enough flour to make dough easy to handle. Roll into a rectangle about 21cm x 29cm and with a sharp knife, cut into eighteen 2 1/2 cm strips. Gently pull each strip into a rope 40cm long.
- To shape into pretzels: Curve ends of each rope to make a circle; cross ends at top. Twist ends once and lay over bottom of circle. Place on greased baking trays. Do not let rise.
- Combine egg and 1 tablespoon water; brush on pretzels. Sprinkle with sea salt flakes. Bake in a preheated 180 degrees C oven for 18 to 20 minutes or until cooked. Remove from sheets and let pretzels cool on wire rack.
Something else. instead of cutting into strips, I divided the dough into 18 pieces and rolled each piece by hand to the required length. I found this created a neater looking pretzel. - 04 Feb 2011
This makes wonderful pretzels with a great taste and texture. They should be eaten fresh or they will get hard. - 14 Jul 2008
These were not soft/chewy but hard and dry ! The dough was very easy to handle. - 14 Jul 2008