- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a frying pan over moderate heat. Peel and chop the onion and fry gently for about 3–4 minutes, until soft.
- Seed and finely slice the capsicums into rings. Drain the artichoke hearts and cut in half, then put aside.
- Drain the canned tomatoes and put into a bowl. Peel the garlic and crush it into the tomatoes, then add the fried onions, dried basil, dried mixed herbs, salt and black pepper to taste, and sugar. Mix together and put aside.
- Preheat the griller to high. Heat the remaining oil in the pan, then add the capsicum rings and stir-fry for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice the round top off the bread and cut the rest across into four 1cm slices and grill on one side. Grate the Cheddar and dice the mozzarella.
- Turn the bread over on the griller rack and spread the tomato mixture evenly over the untoasted side of each slice. Arrange the fried capsicum and the artichokes on top of the tomato, sprinkle with the cheese and dot with the olives.
- Grill the slices for 4–5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and golden. Garnish the pizzas with the basil and serve immediately.
Sliced mushrooms or avocados could be used in place of artichoke hearts. Meat eaters could add ham or salami, prawns or anchovy fillets.
NUTRIENTS PER SERVING:
good source of vitamins A, B group, C, E and folate, and calcium, iron and zinc.