- Put water on to boil. Peel and dice the potatoes and put into a saucepan. Add salt, cover with the boiling water and cook, covered, for 8–10 minutes until the potatoes are tender.
- Meanwhile, slice, rinse and drain the leeks. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a frying pan over moderate heat and fry the leeks for 6–8 minutes, stirring frequently, until softened but not browned. Preheat the griller to high.
- Dice the ham. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a deep frying pan with a flameproof handle. Fry the diced ham over moderate heat for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Grate the cheese and cut the cherry tomatoes in half; put aside.
- Stir the flour and herbs into the ham and cook for 1 minute. Add 300ml milk and stir until it comes to the boil. Add the cheese, stir until it melts then add the leeks, season to taste and reduce the heat to low.
- Drain and mash the potatoes with black pepper, the remaining butter and 1–2 tablespoons milk. Place large spoonfuls of potato in a circle around the top of the ham and leek mixture and place the cherry tomatoes in the centre.
- Grill the pie for 2–3 minutes, or until the top of the mash is golden. Strip the parsley leaves, scatter over the tomatoes and serve immediately.
Serve with a plain green vegetable, such as Brussels sprouts.
NUTRIENTS PER SERVING:
good source of vitamins A, B group, C, E and folate, and calcium.