Wok Braised Tofu and Vegetables
- 350g firm silken tofu
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 3 teaspoons sesame oil
- 220g tin whole water chestnuts, drained and sliced
- 90g fresh shiitake mushrooms, stems removed
- 155g snow peas, trimmed
- 1/2 teaspoon oyster sauce
- 1 cup water
Preparation:10min › Cook:20min › Ready in:30min
- Slice tofu block into 3 long slabs lengthwise. Wrap each slice in cling wrap, and press to squeeze out excess water.
- In a large frying pan over medium high heat, add oil and 2 teaspoons of the sesame oil. Once the oil is hot, add the tofu slices to the frying pan. Fry for about 5 minutes on each side, or until delicately browned.
- Remove tofu from frying pan then slice into cubes. Add the remaining teaspoon of sesame oil to the frying pan and stir-fry the water chestnuts, mushrooms and snow peas. Mix together water and oyster sauce, then add to the frying pan along with the tofu. Cover and cook over low heat for about 10 minutes.
Try braising with vegetable or chicken stock instead of the water for more flavour.
Wow! This was absolutely delicious!!! Very authentic tasting to an asian gal. Close to mum's cooking at home! Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe! - 29 Sep 2008
Used different ingredients. It's great! I used a bit of onion and a lot of brocolli instead of the veggies recommended -and everything still worked out brilliantly. note: use a nonstick pan. first attempt to braise tofu in an non- non-stick was less successful. - 29 Sep 2008
My family and I loved it! The flavours in this dish are scrumptious. My teenaged daughter helped to make dinner. Because the directions were well written, she was able to do a great job in making this dish! To make it was very easy and fast! I made it as a main dish to Asian Coconut Rice ( http://sidedish.allrecipes.com/AZ/sinCcntRic.asp ) The two flavours go extremely well together. Thanks for sharing the recipe! - 29 Sep 2008