- Preheat the griller to high. Peel and thinly slice the onion. Heat the vegetable oil in a frying pan and cook the sliced onion over fairly high heat, stirring, until softened and lightly browned.
- Peel and crush the garlic, then seed and slice the chilli. Chop the tomatoes and drain and rinse the chick peas.
- Stir the cumin into the onion, then add the garlic, chilli, chopped tomatoes and chickpeas. Cook the mixture over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, for 5–8 minutes, until most of the liquid has evaporated, then season the filling with salt and pepper to taste.
- Coarsely grate the cheese. Rinse, dry and shred the lettuce.
- Place the tortillas flat and divide the lettuce among them. Spoon the chickpea mixture down the centre of each, fold the sides over and place in a flameproof dish or baking tray. Sprinkle with the cheese and put under the griller until the cheese melts.
- Serve the enchiladas with the yoghurt or sour cream.
NUTRIENTS PER SERVING:
good source of vitamins B group, C, E and folate.
Enchiladas, a Mexican dish of soft tortillas stuffed with beans, meat or cheese and topped with a hot sauce, are traditionally baked, but grilling is faster.