- Preheat the oven to 190°C. Lightly grease two gratin or other ovenproof dishes. Put half the crab into each dish and sprinkle with the brandy.
- Break 2 eggs carefully into each dish. Season with salt and pepper, then spoon the cream over the top. Dust lightly with cayenne pepper.
- Put the dishes on a baking tray and bake for 20–25 minutes, until the whites of the eggs are set but the yolks are still soft.
- Meanwhile, toast and butter the bread and cut on the diagonal.
- Garnish the eggs with the chervil and serve with the toast.
Strips of smoked salmon and a dash of sherry can be used instead of the crab and brandy, or you could use 2 chopped anchovy fillets with a very little chopped thyme and a sprinkling of brandy.
NUTRIENTS PER SERVING:
good source of vitamins A, B group and E, and selenium.