- Prepare a steamer by half filling the bottom pan with water and putting it on to boil.
- Meanwhile, peel and trim the carrots and cut any large ones in half lengthways. Trim the zucchini and halve lengthways, quarter the cauliflower and trim the asparagus.
- Put the carrots into the steamer, cover and steam for 5 minutes. Then layer the zucchini over the carrots, the cauliflower over the zucchini, and the asparagus over the cauliflower. Replace the cover and steam for 5 minutes.
- While the vegetables are in the steamer, put the sour cream into a saucepan and stir in the mustard. Heat the mixture very gently until just warmed through.
- Put the vegetables into a warmed serving bowl and stir in the butter and some black pepper. Pour on the dressing and serve at once.
If asparagus is not in season, replace with small green beans. You can also use small florets of cauliflower or broccoli.
NUTRIENTS PER SERVING:
good source of vitamins A, B group, C, E and folate.
EASY DOES IT!
You can use a conventional steamer or a Chinese bamboo steamer set over a large wok of boiling water for the vegetables. If you do not have either, you can successfully compromise with a metal sieve and a saucepan. Ensure the sieve sits above the level of the water so that the steam circulates all round.