Black Satin Chicken
- 3 dried Chinese mushrooms
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 cup dark soy sauce
- 1/2 cup soft brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons Shaosing (Chinese) wine
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon chinese five spice
- 1.4 kg chicken (butterflied)
- 4 cm ginger, peeled and grated
- 3-4 cloves garlic peeled & flattened with back of knife
Preparation:10min › Extra time:50min › Ready in:1hour
- Soak the mushrooms in the hot water; drain, reserving the liquid.
- Combine the soy sauces, garlic, ginger, wine, sesame oil, chinese five spice and reserved liquid in a pan and bring to the boil, stirring continuously.
- Place the butterflied chicken in pan & cover with the soy marinade and mushrooms, turning the chicken over so that it is evenly coated.
- Cover and simmer the chicken over a low heat, turning regularly, for 50 minutes or until the juices run clear when pierced with a skewer.
- Remove the chicken and allow to cool briefly.
- Add sugar to marinade & bring to boil until the sauce is thick and syrupy.
- Using a Chinese cleaver or large sharp knife, cut the chicken into serving size pieces.
- Strain sauce and pour over chicken portions on serving platter
- Delicious with sliced spring onions & steamed rice.
- Alternatively you could serve the sauce separately for dipping.
This is a very easy recipe....The only change is I like to add as many dried mushrooms as I can to the one cup of hot water...I also add a bunch of green scallions and I just use boneless skinless thighs....I remove all the skin and bones and season heavily to make a nice rich stock to cook my rice in that I serve with this dish. - 25 Apr 2013
I made this again last night and my kids & I loved it , it's oh so easy & tasty! - 18 Nov 2009